[webproducers] Re: Web Design firm marketing

  • From: "Tim Slavin (Red House Communications, LLC)" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 21:55:13 -0500

I would add three additional thoughts:

Whatever you do, start small, prove value, then evolve. It may be that
what you want is pretty sophisticated and requires professional direct
marketing help. But maybe you could do a little yourself, get your feet
wet, learn, then evolve into that. There are probably small firms that
would not charge too much up front figuring you're on that path towards
a more professional solution (if you are).

Second, looking at your vm.com site, and given your credentials, I
should think that there are lots of C-level organizations and
publications that would sell all/part of their subscriber lists to you,
both on the business and technical sides. Perhaps you could query a few
of your clients (that fit the profile you want) about what they read and
the organizations they belong to and start your research there.

Third, I had to click the So button on your website to get your pitch
for business. Maybe you should also look at getting a copywriter to
write your direct mail and help add a pitch on your home page that fits
your design (e.g., as part of your Flash). You might also include a
short pitch on all your pages, again something that fits into your
design. Basically, I think you need to connect your direct marketing to
your website, so they reinforce each other and generate your desired
effect when your mail goes out and people visit your site.

Then there's always running naked somewhere and getting free media...
Perhaps a Nike ad?

Tim