[webproducers] Re: Jeff Dachis: Big Ideas sans Implementation

  • From: Lydia Sugarman <lsugarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 07:56:04 -0400

Hay, Michael, I have to commend you on taking the bold step of
recruiting Jeff.  Obviously, he has a knack for polarizing people.  The
companion one day seminars should be very exciting and great
opportunities to share information and ideas.

I think Jeff Dachis' persona and pronouncements had a larger-than-life
dimension that in some instances was downright obnoxious and
diametrically opposed to what many felt was in the best interests of New
Media and its disciples and evangelists.  But, in that he certainly was
not alone.  He *is* a bit of a lightening rod.

I have such mixed feelings. At the same time I hope there's some
contrition on his part, I think I'd be disappointed if there is.  I'll
lay odds that the ego won't allow for the former and the latter will be
the rule!

I promise I'll behave myself.  It'll be interesting to see if everyone
else does!

Michael Randazzo wrote:
> At the risk of painting a big target on my back, I have to take
> responsibility for the title of the lecture and class Jeff Dachis will
> be giving - this Wednesday night as well as this Fall at the New School.
>
> The ideas on Wednesday and the class will be all Jeff's - and as you all
> know he has quite a few of them  - but the forum itself was my idea; not
> only to give Jeff a place to discuss what he is thinking about now, but
> also to elicit a response from folks such as yourselves. I am therefore
> not surprised to hear Michael?s, Ari's and Lydia's comments - in fact, I
> welcome them and encourage you to quiz Jeff directly.
>
> I will editorialize and say it is convenient to bash the Razorfishes and
> Organics and Agency.coms of the world ? big on vision and fees; short
> (from what I can tell) on organization and deliverables ? but there was
> a grand, exciting "big think" going on at the turn of the century about
> new media; perhaps it was over-ambitious and arrogant but I sure enjoyed
> it.
>
> Maybe I am still hung over from the 90?s; which is why The New School
> embarked on a series of 1-day seminars to compliment Jeff?s class, with
> titles like Information Design, Game Theory, and Business Intelligence.
> I still believe there is an important transformation going on with
> regard to digital media and internet-enabled commerce (e-comm being so
> discredited!) that it is worth examining and is super important. For
> example, look at the buzz and rush to imitation that MoveOn.org has
> caused. Aren?t all the politicos and fundraisers rushing to figure out
> how this could work for them?
>
> My quest ? as always ? is to figure out how these
> trends/practices/phenomenon can be captured and explained ? not for
> those who are already involved or "in the know", but for those who want
> to take the next step and learn how to keep current (and employable).
> And I hope that The New School is the place where this type of
> dialogue/reaction/education can take place.
>
> So, please do join me on Wednesday night. Sounds like it will be quite a
> discussion.
>
> Michael Randazzo
> Director
> Computer Instruction Center
> The New School
> 212-229-5876

> Michael, the very reasons you cite for not attending are the ones that
> should prompt your attendance.  I can't wait to see what he says and, if
>
> necessary, call attention to this emperor's now old clothes.  I am
> somewhat aghast that The New School is actually giving him a forum for a
>
> lecture series for which people will pay hard dollars.
>
> I've told several people who are survivors of those years and we're
> planning on having a great time.  Please join us!  How about drinks
> after?
>
> My favorite memory of RazorFish was their grossly blundered attempt at a

> [...]

The WPO list is a public discussion forum with a public archive at
www.WebProducers.org. Be sure to trim your posts and delete personal
information such as telephone numbers if you do not want them as part of the
archive.