[webproducers] Jeff Dachis: Big Ideas sans Implementation

  • From: Michael James Pinto <michaeljamespinto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 16:42:37 -0700 (PDT)

--- Michael Randazzo <randazzm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Digital Media: The Big Ideas w/Jeff Dachis

This is a very timely topic, just yesterday I discovered an old issue of the
Silicon Alley
Reporter and it was hard not to laugh when reading it. It was full of profiles
of rising stars
like Jeff for whom the spotlight has gone out. Silicon Alley in the 90s was
very much a place
where style was more important than substance, and Jeff lead the pack. This
wouldn't have been so
bad if we were in an industry that created fashion where style is all
important, but folks like
Jeff were selling the idea of a "business revolution". What that revolution was
we will never know
because unlike those silly Marxists they never quite spelled out what the
revolution was other
than to say "I was into the web before you and I GET IT".

As a mailing list which is focused on project management it's important that we
discourage people
like Jeff from acting nostalgic. The problem with that entire era was that
folks like Jeff used
buzzwords and hype to sell things to clients that they just didn't need. What
was even more sad
were the clients themselves who acting out of fear (or a following a heard
mindset) followed Jeff
off the cliff with their budgets.

As a project manager I think the one thing that I've learned from folks like
Jeff is that it's so
very important to keep away from the buzz. In fact if I find a client using a
techie term as
"something our project needs" I always make it a point to review what the
buzzword in question
means and what it's really used for, or if it has any use. Even if your selling
creative work and
not technology, while it's alright to be sexy you have to have something to
back it up with.

The other core lesson that was learned from Jeff is that having a bigger
company isn't as
important as having a profitable one. At the time Razorfish was one of the
firms that would keep
adding employees in some sort of strange arms race - it didn't seem to matter
that the company
wasn't making money, but look 1000 people work here! Of course the painful side
of this was when
so many of the folks lost their jobs, and also for the folks that lost so much
value in their IRA
or 401k plan.

Now that the new century is under way and it's time to think about rebuilding
NYC, my hopes for
this industry is that we build something that has some value to our clients. So
while I'm not
going to go and see Jeff talk about his "big ideas", I hope that the people who
go to see him
speak won't let him get away with acting like he is some sort of visionary. I
hope he gets asked
some very hard questions, and I also hope for his sake that he has the honesty
not to do a spin
job and admit to the public that he in fact didn't get it. It would be very sad
if he was allowed
to go on stage and continue his masquerade as if the bubble never burst.

Jeff was right, the internet and the web aren't a fad, however his business and
creative approach
to it were very much a passing phase. I can see by the subject line of the
lecture that Jeff
hasn't learned much from the crash; yes he may have had "big ideas" but very
little to back them
up with. While it's unfair to blame the sins of an entire decade on him, it
wouldn't hurt if he
had a bit more modesty and perhaps titled the lecture "a few things we all
learned the hard way".

Michael

=====
Michael James Pinto | http://www.vm.com

Join my mailing list on the arts and technology:

"I wish my life was a DVR so I could fast foward through the sucky parts and
replay the cool bits." MJP

The WPO list is a public discussion forum with a public archive at
www.WebProducers.org. Be sure to trim your posts and delete personal
information such as telephone numbers if you do not want them as part of the
archive.