[webproducers] Re: E-mail list design (Was Re: Freelance webdesign)

  • From: Anders Ramsay <anders@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 12:35:41 -0400

Interesting.  This is the only group I have ever been on in which hitting
reply sends a message to the entire group.  Two examples which use the
approach I describe (and I think is the one suggested below) are
CHI-WEB@xxxxxxx and Sigi-L@xxxxxxxx, in which hitting reply sends the
message to the original sender, and hitting reply all sends the message to
*all* members on the list.  This is actually in line with a rule of thumb in
interface design, which I will now clumsily paraphrase from Ben
Shneiderman's great book on the subject: When deciding on the scope of a
system response to a user action, it is better to err on the side of smaller
scope, especially in cases when the action can not be undone.  In other
words, even if some users may interpret reply as meaning reply all, the cost
to those users is insignificant--they can just re-send the message by
hitting reply all--as compared to the user who thinks reply just means reply
to the original sender, who can not undo the system's broader interpretation
of their action.

Additionally, for those users who want to just respond to the original
sender on this group, why should they have to undertake a set of interface
acrobatics to do something which should be very simple?

With the current setup, if I want to just respond to the original sender
(which I do by just hitting reply under normal circumstances), the simplest
technique I was able to discern with a webproducers email is:

1. hit reply to open a new message window
2. locate e-mail address of original sender in header of original email (or
email body) in the message window.
3. copy email address.
4. select  'To:' field
5. select 'webproducers' address
6. paste and replace webproducers address with clipboard contents.
7. type message and click send.

There may be ways of eliminating a step or two from this, but it seems it
would be a lot easier to allow users to just hit reply to respond to one
person or hit reply all to, well, reply to all.

-Anders