[wdmaudiodev] Re: APOs and Formats

  • From: Matthew van Eerde <Matthew.van.Eerde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 22:29:33 +0000

The Sound control panel's "Advanced" tab lists all of the formats supported by
the hardware; APOs can add to this.

The SysVad sample driver shows how to add custom non-PCM formats that the APO
and the hardware both understand to this list; the .inf can set the OEM format
to one of these, by default.

This technique is generally known as an "encoding EFX" for render or a
"decoding EFX" for capture; or in the pre-Windows 8.1 world, "encoding GFX" or
"decoding GFX".