[wdmaudiodev] APOs and Formats

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 15:23:31 -0700

I've never been clear on how an APO can participate in the format
negotiation for an endpoint. I know that we have IsInputFormatSupported
and IsOutputFormatSupported to validate lists of choices, but where does
that list come from? If an APO needs/wants to change formats, is it
strictly limited to the formats offered by the hardware? Will the Audio
Engine try all possible combinations until it gets success?

If, for example, hardware offers 2 channel and 5.1 support, but the 2
channel is broken, is it possible for the APO to act as a translator
between 2 channel on the input side and 5.1 on the output side?