[waug] Re: Website and other stuff?

  • From: Jeremy Gray <postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: waug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:38:21 +0000

on Friday, December 14, 2007 you wrote:

> My I suggest this is a good time to get a domain for the club.
> 'www.waug.org.uk' is available. I will happily pay for it and set it up.
> That way we can keep the same easy to remember address no matter how the
> pages are hosted.

This talk of websites gets me thinking about search engines ...

Is there someone in this group knowledgeable enough to tell me if it is
possible to set up a search engine which will search specified sites only,
rather than Google which searches millions.

I am a member of a natural history society which, among other things, publishes
on its website a list of some 2000 species. It is not practical for the Society
to curate its own gallery of images of these species. However, there are a
number of members of the Society who run their own websites with good quality
images. Ideally, a click on a species name in the Society's list would find all
the images of that species in the specified set of member's websites. Is it
technically possible to set this up? Thanks for any advice - or even offers of
help!

Best wishes,

Jeremy

from J.M. Gray