[WADNet Post] May 15, 2006: News from Gallaudet University

  • From: WADNet Post Editor <wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wadnetpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 03:02:06 -0500

Gallaudet University News
   --  Article from Washington Post with Photos of Protest
   --  Statement by Gallaudet Board of Trustees
   --  Messages from Elisabeth Zinsser, Ed Bosson
Article from Washington Post with Photos of Protest

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2006/05/08/GA2006050801305_index_frames.htm?startat=1

(Contributed by: Gary Fitts, WADNet Reader)

Statement by Gallaudet Board of Trustees

http://news.gallaudet.edu/?ID=8719

   (Contributed by: Gary Fitts, WADNet Reader)

Message from Elisabeth Zinser, Ed Bosson
Excerpt from emails sent to Tom Willard & Nancylynn Ward

About the protests at Gallaudet University today I can provide little substance because I am not there and do not have direct knowledge of circumstances. Moreover, I do not know or have a position on any of the people considered for the presidency. With that in mind, I will offer some general observations from a distance and from a deep regard for the University and its integrity. I will be most grateful for your reactions and especially to learn your views. I understand and respect that we may differ in our perspectives.

First, the cause pursued in the 1988 protest and the cause of protests at Gallaudet today are worlds apart. The 1988 protest the "Deaf President Now (DPN) Movement" was about the appointment of a hearing person as president rather than the appointment of Gallaudet's first deaf president. It was also a call for a few other related changes regarding the Board of Trustees. DPN sparked a genuine civil rights movement for the recognition and empowerment of deaf and hard of hearing people everywhere. The center of gravity was Gallaudet University because it was then and is now the flagship institution for, by and about deaf and hard of hearing people, education and research. I had the privilege to be a part of the epiphany of new understanding and respect in the "hearing world" toward deaf and hard of hearing people and the historic turning point toward progressive emancipation of deaf people from the bondage of society's prejudice. Of course, we understood that much lay ahead to accomplish these aims over many years, even
decades. That work continues today in institutions, organizations and communities throughout this nation and beyond. The DPN in 1988 was THE historic event that launched this new direction of fundamental change on behalf of deaf and hard of hearing people and their full participation in helping to shape our society. At the moment on the Gallaudet campus, it appears that the protesters are simply complaining about the selection made for the new President of the University - a selection among three deaf leaders experienced in educational administration. This is not a civil rights cause, or anything close to it. It is a normal situation in which some people will agree and some people will disagree with a decision made in the course of University governance. The protesters have the right to express themselves in our free society, but I humbly believe that the choice of tactics is at best immature and that any analogy to the DPN Movement is naive. I would even argue that such an analogy trivializes the true significance of the DPN Movement and the extraordinary social progress that followed. Let me quote from my resignation speech, which I'm sure is on file in the Gallaudet University Library, along with many other writings and news coverage of that time when academic integrity yielded to cultural dignity in a conflict between these two goods. It was a rare moment when such a trade off was necessary and wise. The cultural dignity cause was compelling and well beyond Gallaudet University itself. [In resigning] I have responded to this extraordinary social movement of deaf people, not to the demands of the protesters [per se]. I warn all students and presidents of universities across the nation that the Gallaudet situation today is unique. It is a civil rights movement in history for deaf people.The events in Washington this week should provide no lesson to any other college or university that an action like a campus siege will be tolerated. Today is not their civil rights time. And I add today that Gallaudet University has had its civil rights moment in March of 1988 when the world heard deaf and hard of hearing people. Society has been listening with greater insight and respect from that time on. How wonderful to know that, like Dr. I King Jordan, the next president of Gallaudet University will be a role model and a symbol of ability and achievement within the deaf and hard of hearing communities. Dr. Fernandes will do so with her own style. Moreover, I am mindful that there is not just one "deaf culture". Like all people of a common heritage and/or experience, the "deaf community" is not uniform. There are many differences within and across identity groups. Such diversity across our multiple "memberships" is a national strength and a source of deep learning for human progress and society's future.

Second, it seems to me that even those who may have preferred another selection for president have every reason to hold confidence in the Board that just executed its most important charge: to select a strong leader for the University. After all, the DPN Movement launched fundamental change in the composition and level of knowledge about deaf and hard of hearing education and Gallaudet University. It seems to me - admittedly from a distance - that there is ample cause for trusting the wisdom of the Board.

Third, I am very impressed by the leadership provided by President I. King Jordan over these many years. He has earned the high esteem and appreciation being expressed throughout the Gallaudet community and among leaders in education and public policy. It seems to me inconsistent for anyone to have such high confidence in Dr. Jordan¡¦s leadership and judgment and at the same time question the abilities of his provost to succeed in following him as president. Such an effective presidency does not happen because of the abilities and qualities of the president alone; they happen because the president chooses and develops a great team of outstanding associates. That the academic leader who has served as Dr. Jordan's provost has now been selected to lead Gallaudet as president (following a competitive national search) might well be celebrated as another indication of the progress at Gallaudet University in producing outstanding leaders. Surely the widespread confidence in Dr. Jordan's judgment and track record in supporting growth in his associates is one of many reasons to have confidence that Dr. Jane Fernandes is well prepared to assume her new leadership responsibilities.

Fourth, being an internal candidate for a presidency anywhere presents special challenges. Gallaudet is no exception. The individual has served in another capacity, demanding somewhat different approaches. Academic leadership through the provost role is one of the most valuable career experiences in preparation for becoming a very successful president - whether intended at the outset or not.

On the other hand, it is all too easy for some people to assume that the individual making such a transition will carry all the same approaches to things from the provost role to the president role. That is not the case at all. The seasoned academic leader knows and is prepared for new ways of doing things and appropriate adjustments to her or his style, building upon the insights and experiences of having been the second person in command, so to speak. It would be wise for members of the Gallaudet community to bear this reality in mind and also the value of change in the course of any presidential transition.

Finally, colleges and universities are about learning - including about appropriate principles and practices of governance of institutions in a democratic society. Gallaudet University is a fine institution of higher learning in the best sense of the term. Hence, I am confident that the University community will restore civil and thoughtful discourse and make wise meaning of the current upheaval, thereby paving the way for Dr. Fernandes to establish herself in the presidency with mutual respect on campus and renewed attention to the University's next phase of development. Again, please know that I make these observations with humility because I am far removed in time and distance from Gallaudet. None the less, I have never lost my genuine regard and care for the institution - its people, its mission, its character, and its future. I could not be more pleased by the great progress made under the leadership of my friend and colleague, Dr. I. King Jordan. It is special that we are retiring in the same year.

Warmly, Elisabeth Zinser President, Southern Oregon University Past President of Gallaudet University for four days in 1988

*****

"Bosson, Ed" <ed.bosson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Truth be told I've flip-flopped from one side to other and then to the other side.

Being an outsider, it is hard to get all the pertinent facts. I often distrust these "spin-off doctors" who may have been a puppet to the leaders of "behind the scene". I see quite a bit of spin-off doctors from both sides. Having worked closely with grassroots folks over the years, I've noticed from time to time that what leaders want and what grassroots folks want sometimes are two different things. I've noticed the pattern where the "educated" leaders would use sheer volume of "facts" to overpower the grassroots folks who may not be as educated or perhaps bit immature, but they follow their intuitive/instincts as to what they perceive are right. Anyway and consequently, the grassroots folks may not have very good compelling reasons why they acted so, but even so still they fight on simply because they "feel" it is the right thing. More often than not, the wishes of the leaders often wins out nevermind if it is the right thing or not - I'm sure lot of times they are, though.

Is this Gally incident, whether the "leaders" are right or not, I hesitate to say strongly either way.

Also I noticed an interesting remark from one of the hearing students from University Texas who had been following the incidents at Gally saying that "UT students do not have any say about who gets to be president of UT" or something to this effect. With 55K of students (at UT) which is the largest student body in the USA, I kinda understand why. There will be significant number of students protesting against the selected applicants no matter what. With Gallaudet University, it may be bit different due to the very nature of deaf culture? Even so, I wondered...

I got to wondering about smaller universities, also those smaller uiversities that cater to black people - do they have similar problems hiring "Oreo" or "Uncle Tom" black people and do the students protest against that? It is the same as "audism" issue going on right now at Gally. Do any of you know if that is the case or not?

I still do not know what is the right thing. I am guessing that giving JF a chance is probably the right thing. However, it seems that a case shld be made strongly to put burden of accountability not on JF, but on BOT - to ensure that the selected applicant is doing what she or he should be doing; to constantly challenge new Prexy to do what he or she needs to do? It seems to me, historically, BOT has been very forgiving - perhaps too forgiving(?) so shld the role of BOT be clearly identified to ensure that the wishes of the teeming masses which is to make sure President of Gally does the expected works and do them well?

I seem to think so, but I am not sure how to create this mandate. Do any of you?

eyes open & thumbs up,

Ed Bosson RT Administrator TTY/Video Phone (dl-vp and s-vp) :
512/936-7147 Voice User: 866-410-5787 Ext. 74430 FAX: 512/936-7003

   (Contributed by: Gary Fitts, WADNet Reader)

IF YOU ARE CHANGING EMAIL ADDRESSES, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE TWO STEPS:

Then

2) SUBSCRIBE to the WADNet Post by sending an email from your NEW email address
to wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field.

TO SUBMIT ARTICLES for WADNet Posts, send an email with the information to
wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx by 7pm CST Sunday night.  WADNet Posts generally go
out on Monday and/or Tuesday evenings each week.  Special Postings will be made
when there is an urgent need and on a case-by-case basis.  Please contact the
WADNet Post Editor if you have any questions.

TO UNSUBSCRIBE from the WADNet Post, send an email to
wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.

Please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org for the latest information
and events.  Also, please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org if you
wish to become a member of WAD.