[WADNet Post] August 22, 2006: Madison Area News

  • From: WADNet Post Editor <wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wadnetpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 23:36:13 -0500

MADISON AREA NEWS
   --  Sep 12: Shore to Shore Fall Classes Begin
   --  Update from Access to Independence
   --  Madison Deaf Events Information Page Online
   --  Deaf Walking Group
Sep 12: Shore to Shore Fall Classes Begin

Family Enhancement's Shore to Shore program will again be offering American Sign Language Classes this Fall. We are located at 2120 Fordem
Avenue in Madison. All classes (Levels 1, 2, and 3) run from 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm on Tuesday evenings. Our ten week classes begin September 12th
and end November 14th.

Our classes are taught by Deaf adults using various teaching methods.

Anyone who is interested in learning sign language is welcome to attend.

Childcare, with an emphasis on learning sign language, is offered while adults attend their classes.

The fee is $70.00 per individual or $95.00 per family (two adults plus children).

Registration and payment are required. Please contact Connie Stevens at cstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for a flyer and registration form.

Who we are:
Shore to Shore offers year round programming for families with Deaf and Hard of Hearing members and others who use sign language. We believe
communication is the cornerstone of literacy. In addition to sign language classes, we offer an ASL Story Hour and Parent Support Group as well as Outreach Services.

Please contact me with questions.

In the interest of those who use sign language to communicate, thank you very much.

Connie Stevens
Shore to Shore
A program of Family Enhancement
cstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
608-241-5150 ext. 16

Family Centers Building
2120 Fordem Avenue
Suite 210
Madison, WI 53704

   (Contributed by: Connie Stevens, Shore to Shore)

Update from Access to Independence

Hi Everyone!!

I wanted to update everyone on how things are going with Access to Independence in Madison.

We had a fun summer watching softball, learning about tornadoes, and learning to play golf.

Fall will be MORE fun...
We are working to set up
1. Self- Defense class for women
2. Emergency Prep
3. Your rights- Jobs and Interpreters
4. Holiday Party/Town Hall

Our walking group still meets every Monday 8am at both East and West Towne Malls. Don't forget Deaf Professionals is the 3rd Friday of each month. You can find more info at www.geocities.com/madisondeaf

We still work with community events so that you can go:
Overture- Royal Drummers of Burundi Oct 30
               Silent Movie Nov 4
ANEW Womens Expo- Nov 18

Help us set up for the future.  Your answers are VERY important!

1. Have you learned anything from our workshops?  How have they helped?

2. What was your favorite event?

3. What would you like to see in the future?  Workshop?  Fun activity?

email your responses to
Denise Pulfer
deaf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   (Contributed by: Denise Pulfer, Access to Independence)

Madison Deaf Events Information Page Online

Want to know about other Madison Deaf Events?

Go to http://www.geocities.com/madisondeaf

Lists all of the local events.

For Deaf youth, go to geocities.com/maddeafyouth

Sponsored by Access to Independence
Questions or comments, contact  Denise Pulfer at deaf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   (Contributed by: Denise Pulfer, Access to Independence)

Walking Group

Every Monday, 8am

East and West Towne Malls
(you can go to the one closest to you)

Groups start walking when they arrive.  Find each other while walking.

East Town mall - .70 miles one lap
West Town mall - .75 miles one lap

   (Contributed by: Denise Pulfer, WADNet Reader)

Then

2) SUBSCRIBE to the WADNet Post by sending an email from your NEW email address
to wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field.

TO SUBMIT ARTICLES for WADNet Posts, send an email with the information to
wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx by 7pm CST Sunday night.  WADNet Posts generally go
out on Monday and/or Tuesday evenings each week.  Special Postings will be made
when there is an urgent need and on a case-by-case basis.  Please contact the
WADNet Post Editor if you have any questions.

TO UNSUBSCRIBE from the WADNet Post, send an email to
wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.

Please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org for the latest information
and events.  Also, please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org if you
wish to become a member of WAD.