[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Sad news from UWM

  • From: parnold@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:29:40 -0700

Hi all,

As a graduate of WMU, I too can say how Sue touched me both as a mentor and a
friend. When I was a struggling Grad student and overwhelmed, Sue and Paul
invited me once to their house to give me support and their experience on a
assignment I was having difficulty with. After I graduated and moved to
Phoenix, I kept in touch and became good friends to both Sue and Paul, and have
seen them whenever I could when in Michigan to visit family. Sue's spirit lives
on in each friend and colleague that knew her or benefited from her writings or

Patty Arnold

Quoting "B.J. LeJeune" <BJLejeune@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I am passing along this heartbreaking message from Donna Lee.  In know
> you all share with me the sadness of losing such a tremendous friend and
> colleague who has done so much to enrich our lives and our profession.
> BJ
> It is with very a very sorrowful heart that I write to you this evening
> on behalf of all my colleagues at WMU.  This morning, after a courageous
> battle, Sue Ponchillia passed away.  Together, Paul and Sue were known
> for being an incredible couple who worked tirelessly for our department,
> but also our field.  Sueâ??s presence at WMU always brought smiles and
> laughter, as she touched the lives of so many far beyond the studentâ??s
> she taught.  As one of her studentâ??s myself, she certainly made a
> lasting impression on me that Iâ??m sure helped guide me to where I am
> today (ironically just two doors down from her own office).  She will be
> missed more than words can express . . .
> Tentative plans are for a memorial service on Saturday, October 24th.
> I will keep everyone updated on specifics as we know more.  In the
> meanwhile, please join us in supporting Paul during this difficult
> time.
> Many thanks for your thoughts and prayers in advance,
> The Department of Blindness and Low Vision Studies at WMU
> Donna Brostek Lee
> Assistant Professor
> Western Michigan University
> Department of Blindness and Low Vision Studies
> 1903 West Michigan Avenue
> Mailstop 5218
> Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5218
> Office: (269) 387-5944
> Fax: (269) 387-3567

FastQ Communications
Providing Innovative Internet Solutions Since 1993

To view archives, edit list settings, subscribe or unsubscribe from list:

Administrator e-mail: dietz1112@xxxxxxxxx