[visionrehabtherapist] Re: A people-first language question

  • From: "Brink-Chaney, Marcie (DELEG)" <brink-chaneym@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Maduffy@xxxxxxx>, <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:30:56 -0400

I am aware of the reasons for people first language. But, logically, we
have to take people from where they are to a higher level of awareness
and understanding. For example, if someone has never kept a house clean
very well and that person  has a vision loss, you have to take them from
where they are and actually teach them skills of cleaning, not just
using techniques of doing cleaning using limited vision or no vision.
You can't assume that this person knows how to clean a surface or that
it is necessary to clean a particular surface. So I'm saying that we
start where people are by using the phrase "the blind." Then, after you
reach them, help them  understand that the person is more important than
a characteristic or a lack of some physical ability. Reach them and then
educate them.

If you think about people who are deaf, I gather that those individuals
would not be very thrilled to be called people who are deaf because they
perceive deafness as a culture not a disability. That presents an
interesting question. Could blindness be considered a culture by some of
the people who are blind? I do not consider blindness as just an
inconvenience as some other people who are blind do. However, I don't
think that if I were sighted, everything would be better. If I were not
a person who is blind, I'd be a different person. In some ways, I hope
that my lack of sight has helped me to be more compassionate than I may
have been if I were sighted. In many ways, being visually impaired
probably has given me more opportunities than I would have had as a
sighted person. as far As I know, I was the first person to graduate
with a B.A. degree from my family. Economically, although I may have
made more money as a sighted person in the fields I have been trained
for, I probably would not have had the opportunity to be a vision
rehabilitation therapist. I also believe that those sighted people who
have truly become my friends are far more open and compassionate than
many people in general. They really did think of me as a person first.
But, that said, being blind is part of who I am and affects my
perception of myself and others. I think I've lost the thread that gives
this email message continuity and logic, so I'll quit. Ultimately, I
think it's more important for you to reach people who are blind to help
them be the people they can be or to help their family member or friend
or client/patient who is blind be all he/she can be and then after they
contact your website, address the stereotypes and mis-conceptions that
all of them  probably may have.

Marcie Brink-Chaney CVRT
Michigan Commission for the Blind
Detroit Office