[visionrehabtherapist] Re: A people-first language question

  • From: "McInnis, Janet (DELEG)" <mcinnisj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <graysjoinery@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Maduffy@xxxxxxx>, <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 22:33:41 -0400

when I google, I just google and am not really thinking too much of people
first language.  I liked what Sandy said, how we treat folks is important and
speaks volumes. If you get more hits with "the blind" go for it, but,  what
happens when you search vision loss or visually impaired or low vision type
terms?  Where does VisionAware fall in with those keywords?  Because...I run
into lots of families who are looking for info for older family members and the
word "blind" still is not in their vocabulary.  We in the field use it freely
and interchangably, but not sure that persons experiencing new diagnosis of mac
degen, retinopathy, glaucoma.  In fact if doctors are telling patients, rightly
or wrongly that they will not go blind, I may avoid that term altogether.