[visionrehabtherapist] Re: A Message from AFB regarding JVIB

  • From: Maduffy@xxxxxxx
  • To: penny.reeder@xxxxxxxxx, visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:08:51 EDT

Hi Penny:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. In terms of the fee structure, here is
the statement from AFB.:

"Effective  immediately, AFB Press will offer all professionals a new $25
individual  subscription fee for online access to the Journal of Visual
Impairment &  Blindness (JVIB) and $65 for a  combined print and online
subscription."

It's  my interpretation that everyone will pay $25 for online access if
deciding to  subscribe. People who want a print version, in addition to the
online version,  would pay an extra $40.

Maureen

In a message dated 4/29/2009 2:56:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
penny.reeder@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I have  been mulling over the various announcements on this topic and
finally cannot  contain myself any longer.

First, let me say that although I have been  a member of AER from time to
time over the years since I have been involved as  a professional, and a
consumer, in the blindness field, I am not currently a  member.  When I worked
for the state, the state I worked for would not  cover my membership in AER
and their salary was so minimal, I felt that I  could not afford the cost of
membership.  I have been meaning to join  since I believe my current
employer will cover the cost of member,ship, but  now I am not going to bother,
because, really, what tangible benefit of  membership would there be for me?  I
have always felt that the most  useful and tangible membership benefit was
my access to JVIB, which is the  premier professional journal in the field.
If I cannot rely on AER to  provide my accessible subscription to JVIB,
then why should I join?

Now  for AFB's decision to charge me for online access to the journal, as
usual,  AFB does not understand the concept of equal access!  Why should I
have  to pay more for accessing JVIB online than a print subscriber would pay
for a  print subscription to JVIB?  If I am misunderstanding this fee
structure,  please enlighten me, but if I am not, and AFB is charging a
separate
(unequal)  fee for online subscribers to JVIB, then they are not
understanding one of the  key concepts  for which they profess to advocate!

In addition, I  want to poit out that it is much cheaper to distribute a
publication online  than it would be to pay for printing, brailling, or even
making available on  cd and mailing.  An online subscription should be
*cheaper than a print  or braille or other-than-online format subscription!

Thank you for  allowing me to express my opinions, and if I am
misinterpreting either of  these recent announcements, I hope that someone will
help me
to "see the  light."

Penny Reeder

At 12:54 PM 4/29/2009,  Maduffy@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hello  Listers:

As a VRT and as an Associate Editor of JVIB, I'd like  to share this
information with you, as a follow-up to the recent  announcement by the AER
Board
of Directors to suspend the online JVIB  subscription as an AER member
benefit. To follow this discussion and to  share any feedback you might have, I
suggest you post your comments to the  AER Listserv, where they will reach
the appropriate  audience.

An Important Message from the American Foundation for  the Blind:

Effective immediately, AFB Press will offer all  professionals a new $25
individual subscription fee for online access to the  Journal of Visual
Impairment & Blindness (JVIB) and $65  for a combined print and online
subscription. To allow for a new  subscription process to be put in place
following the
AER decision to  terminate JVIB as a member benefit, AFB Press will provide
continuous  access to JVIB during the months of April and May to our
readership.  Readers can log on using the generic "AER, AER" user name and
password.

During the month of May, JVIB's readership will be invited to  join the
JVIB community by contacting AFB Press directly and taking  advantage of the
new, reduced subscription rates for individual subscribers.  At that time, AFB
Press will provide additional information about how  readers can formally
sign up for their new subscriptions. In the meantime,  please contact
afbpress@xxxxxxx with any questions you might have.

AER members who have print add-on subscriptions to the journal will  be
receiving their April print issue in the mail. Questions about your AER
membership or the JVIB add-on print subscription arranged by AER  should be
addressed to the AER office directly.

Thank you for your  support of JVIB, and we look forward to continuing our
relationship  with you, our valued readers.

The Editors

and
AFB Press

Maureen A. Duffy, CVRT
Editorial Director
AWARE  (Associates for World Action in Rehabilitation & Education)
Phone:  914-528-5120
E-mail: maureen.duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Are you aware  of our web site?
_www.visionaware.org_ (http://www.visionaware.org/)
"Self-Help  for Vision Loss"
_www.twitter.com/visionaware_ (http://www.twitter.com/visionaware)

_Big  savings on Dell XPS Laptops and  Desktops!_
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220631276x1201390200/aol?redir)

**************Big savings on Dell XPS Laptops and
Desktops!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220631276x1201390200/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.double
click.net%2Fclk%3B214101948%3B35952020%3Bv)