[visionrehabtherapist] Re: 6 uyear old skills

  • From: "Christie Peel" <peels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>, <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 10:13:45 -0400

There is a fabulous article called, "Hey! What's Cooking? A Kitchen Curriculum For The Parents Of Visually Impaired Children," that list appropriate daily living chores for children this young. The article is by Franziska Naughton and Sharon Sacks. I recommend the article to all parents and professionals that work with children.

The easiest way I've found to obtain a copy of the article is through Blind Children's Fund. The article is in a packet they sell for $7.00 plus shipping and handling (The last time I order the packet was about a year or so ago and the total cost was $11.00.) The packet the articles is in is called, "Parent and Teacher Packet 1." The packet contains a lot of useful information for both parents and teachers and they give the purchaser written permission to reproduce anything in the packet. Listed below is information on how to obtain the packet.

To order the Hey! What's Cooking article:
Blind Children's Fund
201 S. University Street
Mt. Pleasant, MI  48858
(989) 779-9966
www.blindchildrensfund.org

Also, if you have access to AFB's Foundations of Education, Second Edition, Volume 11, Instructional Strategies for Teaching Children and Youths with Visual Impairment, chapter 16 of it might help answer some of your questions as well. This book is the "Big Purple Book" that most TVI programs require their students to buy.

Good luck,

Christie Peel, CVRT, COMS, TVI

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>