[visionegg] Re: repeat different trials several times in a random order

  • From: Andrew Straw <andrew.straw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:02:56 -0700

On Apr 16, 2004, at 10:22 AM, Sven Garbade wrote:

Hi all,

I played with visionegg and it looks very great and powerfull for me.
I'm thinking about to use it in our eyetracking lab and interface it
with our software which controls the eyetracker. Before I start here is
a question about repeating different trial types in a random order. Many
of our experiments contain trials which have to be repeated. For
example, 6 different trials (e.g. in the first trial a target moves from
left to right, in the second trial two targets move from left to right
etc.) have to be repeated 10 times each in a random order. So it would
be nice to define each of the 6 different trial types and then call a
function which randomly process the list with altogether 60 trials. I
think this must be able to implement with python, but I'm wondering if
there are already some functions in visionegg or an example as a
starting point.

I'm glad it looks useful for you!

This is all do-able. For psychophysics-type experiments, I generally recommend staying away from the Presentation and Controller stuff and implementing your own control flow -- it's then easier to structure a higher-level trial-by-trial control such as you desire because you can have single trial initiated by a simple function calls and it's much easier to display text prompting the user about what's going to happen and so on. A few of the demos work this way, but most are from the early history of the Vision Egg when I was most concerned with getting it to play well with electrophysiology setups. I'll probably include an example of a complete psychophysics experiment sometime, but not in the immediate future.

Cheers!
Andrew