[vip_students] Creating rules in Microsoft Outlook!

  • From: "NCBI Technical Support" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:05:51 -0000

Note: This tutorial only applies to versions of outlook from "2002 up to the
present version".

First we create a folder where we want to put the in-coming emails which we
are making the rule for. To do this, while in the inbox:
1. Press keys, "control + shift + Letter E" and you will be asked for a
folder name.

2. In this example we will call the folder anything so let's use the name,
VICS

3. Press the enter key and you're done creating the folder where the rule
will place the desired incoming emails.

Now move on to creating the rule.

1. Arrow to the message in your outbox that you wish to create a rule for.
This could be one of the vics emails.

2. Press the application key on it, that is the third key from right of the
spacebar.

3. Arrow up or down till you come to "create rule" and press the enter key.

4.You will be presented with the following choices which I will try and
explain.
A screen appears with the following:

Create Rule

When I get e-mail with all of the selected conditions
From vicsireland-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Note: You must check this checkbox using your spacebar. This tells outlook
that this is the address you want as the subject of the rule.

5. The next part you can ignore:
*. Subject contains [vicsireland] message rules

*. Sent to vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Do the following

*. Display in the New Item Alert window

*. Play a selected sound: Windows Notify.wav Browse...

6. Here is the important parts:

When you tab along you will eventually come to the following buttons.
*. Move the item to folder: Office2007 Select Folder checkbox...
Note: you need to check this box with the spacebar.

7. Next you will come to a button that says "select folder", you need to
press the spacebar on this button to enter a new screen of options as
follows:
*. A list of all folders you have currently within your outlook program. You
must now arrow up or down through this list or tree view as it is called
sometimes to locate the folder you created earlier, the one we called "VICS"
and created at the beginning.

8. Now tab key to the ok button and press the enter key.

9. Again tab key to yet another ok button and press enter key.

Note: The section I wrote above from the steps, "7 to 9" require a little
practice as for some reason the screen can be a little confusing especially
when you are looking for the folder you created. Also note that if this is
your very first rule, I find in outlook that you very often have to go in
and make the rule a second time for it to work properly. Just don't rush it
and practice it when you can.

Now you are finished.

It has removed 1252 spam emails to date.