[vicsireland] Re: hello chairman of vics

  • From: "Gerry Ellis" <gerry.ellis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:50:22 +0100

Hi, Festus ,

All VICS members are welcome to come to the AGM.

To the best of my knowledge nobody has ever been bullied or threatened when
attending an AGM. I, for one, would not stand for such actions.

The reason why people were not enthusiastic about VICS becoming involved with
sending second-hand equipmenbt to anyone is the question of licencing. If I buy
equipment and software, they are in my name. If they are then sent to anyone
else, wherever that may be, the software licence remains in my name. This could
cause a legal problem for all involved further down the line. For instance,
what happens when the recipient wants to upgrade the version of JAWS that is on
the computer? It would be unwise for VICS to get involved with such a scheme
without having the appropriate legal and other support to do so. There are
groups like the Veronica Foundation who do just this kind of thing.

Maybe we will meet you on May 24th?

Take care,

Gerry Ellis
Secretary, VICS