[vicsireland] Re: hello chairman of vics

  • From: Tony.G.Murray@xxxxxx
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:06:55 +0100

HI Festus,

Quite an email, I'll do my best to address this.

"I wish to inform you that I have been very very scared of attending vics
AGM and training days because I felt deeply that you were angry with me
for asking for donations to blind people in Africa I.e. Nigeria."

I can just about remember this issue.  It is still my opinion that it
would be a bad idea for VICS to get involved in a project like this, for
two main reasons.  As I'm sure I explained, the first and most important
point is licensing.  Legally, we just can't donate registered/licensed
hardware or software to anyone.  The second is more simple.  VICS is a
charitable society; we are primarily a self help group.  It is beyond our
focus as a society to make donations to any third parties, no matter where
in the world they may be.  There are channels which you can go down to
receive donations of technology and much more, but these are nothing to do
with VICS.

It is regrettable that you have been scared to attend any of our events,
since you raised this question some years ago.  I must tell you that I was
not at all angry with you or anyone regarding the whole issue; I simply
didn't feel it was the right road for VICS to take.  My only wish is that
you raised this at the time, and that you could have been part of our many
meetings and training days since.

"I was highly worried because I felt you were going to intimidate and
embarrass me I just couldn't stand that threat."

You needn't have been worried.  All VICS events I've been involved with
have been friendly and laid back days out.  I think any of the members who
have attended our training days, open days and AGMs in the past few years
can attest to this.  There is nobody more easy going than this soon to be
retired chairman, and the only time I'd ever attempt to embarrass you
would be if you missed your round in the bar when we'd finished our day's
work.

"I have spent eight loving years and I have acquired a lot of skills in
computer technology through many blind and sighted friends in Ireland. My
dreams are to be able to impact these knowledge to needy blind persons in
Africa because they're still using type writers."

I hope your dream comes true, and some day very soon you'll be able to
pass on your skills to educate people.  Knowledge sharing and transfer is
exactly what VICS is all about.  If you have learned something from our
members and intend passing it on to others, this to me is completely and
100% positive.  A major goal of mine when I took the chair of this society
was to formulate and implement some sort of training project.  With the
help of others, this endeavour has been very successful, and I'm delighted
you and those you intend helping in the future may benefit in some way
from VICS' work.

"I like to use this medium to apologize to you in every way if I have
offended you by asking for favors for blind people in the
third world."

No need to apologise, I am not offended in any way.  I do my own bit of
charity work here and there, so I understand the concept of knocking on
doors.

"Please give me the all clear invitation in the A.G.M. coming up at
N.C.B.I. headquarters in May."

Of course you are invited, all are welcome.  I hope to meet you on the
day.

"I must confess that you are all wonderful humane and loving blind
computer experts in vics Ireland so let sleeping dogs lie."

Well, I think VICS is a wonderful group.  It's been a privilege to be the
Chairperson for the past three years.  I'm delighted you and the rest of
our members are a part of it, and without everyone contributing, it just
wouldn't work.  Keep it up!

There probably will be a few sleeping dogs on the day of the AGM, but not
the metaphorical sort.  Our attendees who happen to be guide-dogs are the
only ones who are completely free to nod off without worrying about
missing anything important.

Festus, I hope this puts all your worries and concerns to rest.  It would
be good to meet you on Saturday May 24th, so I hope you can make it along.

Best wishes,

Tony Murray