[vicsireland] Re: New VICS website launched.

  • From: Ronan McGuirk <ronan.p.mcguirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:04:31 +0000

Hi Darragh,

Well done on getting the website up and running!

I look forward to getting the logon info.

Obviously a lot of work has gone into this so well done to all involved!

Ronan

On 21 Nov 2009, at 14:57, Darragh wrote:

Good afternoon,

It was aimed to do this during today's event in Galway however as weather caused problems with transport I'm sending the notification to the list.

VICS have a brand new website. After months of work and testing from volunteers, I am delighted to send this mail inviting you to the new site at www.vicsireland.org

This site builds on the excellent work done before by Natasha Miskella and continues with the same aims to ensure the site is visually attractive while maintaining a high standard of accessibility.

The site features some of the following improvements:
A new members only area where members of VICS can access content not available to unregistered members of the public such as training and info-vics.

The training section has been updated to include audio based guides also.

A new InfoVics podcast. This will allow you to subscribe to InfoVics through iTunes or any other podcatcher to bring it with you on the road.

What we believe is the most comprehensive source of links to external websites relating to visual impairments, technology, service providers and educational material available in Ireland. Thanks to Joananne for being the main driver behind this.

The Vics blog. This is something that will grow in the coming months. It will be contributed to by guest bloggers as well as members of the committee with updates and more.

Follow vicsireland on twitter to get notified of updates, events and Vics news. The Twitter feed for VicsIreland is also on the new website. You can visit the Vics page on twitter at www.twitter.com/vicsireland Note, this will not take the place of notifications via the mailing list. It is hoped that it will serve to promote the Vics name.

An entirely new design. This includes high contrast and large print options for those of you who require such alterations.

In the next while, all Vics members will receive an automated email from the new Vics website with your username and password. Simply visit www.vicsireland.org and use the log in form to sign in as a member. You will then be given access to the restricted areas of the website. When I am sure these messages have been sent out I will write to the list again.

Extensive testing has been done by a number of Vics members, the committee and other external individuals and I am very hopeful that no problems will be encountered however, I invite anyone to email me at Darragh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or call me at 0877670464 if you have any questions, comments or problems.

I'd like to thank everyone who assisted with testing, Nicky who travelled to Drogheda to work on audio for the site and everyone on the committee for their hours of testing and many suggestions.

Darragh Ó Héiligh
www.digitaldarragh.com and www.lalrecordings.com