[vicsireland] Re: Jaws 11 and vista

  • From: Esmond Walshe <esmond.walshe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 12:37:31 +0000

the main differences between 32 and 64 bit machines is the way that
they address randum access memory (ram) locations.

A 32 bit operating system can only address a limited number of memory
byte addresses as it uses just 32 bits to determine a location thus I
think it is around 3/4 gigs of memory that it is limited to.  whereas
when using a 64 bit operating system the number of memory bytes it can
address is much greater thus allowing for much more memory to be
accessed.

Note that many applications are still written for 32 bit windows so
may not work correctly on a 64 bit version.

Hope this helps