[vicsireland] Re: IOS accessible maps?

  • From: David Nason <dnason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 19:06:51 +0100

Hi Eamonn,

There are a few options on iPhone, depending on what you want / need.

1. Apple Maps
The built in Apple Maps app is actually very good now, and is accessible. You
can get turn by turn directions, and you can also explore the on-screen map
with your finger, though this feature is a bit tricky.
The downside is that it has to download the map data as you go, and so uses
mobile data. I'm led to believe the usage is reasonably light, but it may be a
concern when roaming.

2. Google Maps
Similar to Apple maps but in my personal experience less user friendly from an
accessibility point of view.

3. Navigon
Navigon is an app made by the GPS company Garmin. The good thing about this is
that you download the maps to the phone when you're at home on wifi. As the
maps are stored on the phone, there is no data usage when using the app.
The app menus etc. are all fully accessible, except the maps download screen
doesn't confirm which maps are downloading with VoiceOver. And it is pretty
easy to use.
The downside is it is not designed for our use, and the on-screen maps are
essentially images. This has sometimes caused me issues, particularly at the
start of the journey if the spoken instruction hasn't made it clear which
direction to go at the start.
It also comes at a hefty enough price.
I like it overall though. It can be good to use in combination with other apps
too.

4. RNIB Navigator from Sendero
This one is from Sendero so is designed specifically with blind and low vision
users in mind. It's user friendly and of course accessible.
Like Apple Maps though, I believe it downloads the map data as you go, so again
the data roaming may be an issue.
I'm not sure if it works outside the UK & Ireland yet, so you'd need to check
that.
It costs money but is on a subscription basis rather than a large up-front fee.

5. Blind Square
This isn't so much a maps app as a navigation guide. It updates you with your
current location, street crossings as you walk / drive, points of interest
around you etc. And will let you know as you are approaching a selected target.
It won't actually give you directions though, and has no displayed maps.
Again it uses data, but as there are no actual maps downloaded, it should be
less than others.
Great app, but in isolation it may or may not do enough for you.

I'll let you know if I think of any others.

Dave

Sent from my iPad

On 7 Oct 2015, at 12:47, Eamonn X. O'Connor <EXOConnor@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi folks,
Just wondering if there are any accessible maps, or direction apps for IOS?

A sighted friend recommended HereMap, but it wasn’t accessible with
VoiceOver.

I’m off to Florence next week for a couple of days. The only problem is
that RuinAir fly to Pisa. We must make our own way by train, and pray we
don’t end up in Milan or Rome!

Despite the best efforts of the rosminians, I’m afraid I’ve no Italian.

If necessary, I can print colour maps of Pisa and Florence, and bring them
with us. I can’t relate to maps, but Trish usually can with a magnifying
glass.

Regards,

Eamonn

Is le haghaidh an duine nó an eintitis ar a bhfuil sí dírithe, agus le
haghaidh an duine nó an eintitis sin amháin, a bheartaítear an fhaisnéis
a tarchuireadh agus féadfaidh sé go bhfuil ábhar faoi rún agus/nó faoi
phribhléid inti. Toirmisctear aon athbhreithniú, atarchur nó leathadh a
dhéanamh ar an bhfaisnéis seo, aon úsáid eile a bhaint aisti nó aon
ghníomh a dhéanamh ar a hiontaoibh, ag daoine nó ag eintitis seachas an
faighteoir beartaithe. Má fuair tú é seo trí dhearmad, téigh i
dteagmháil leis an seoltóir, le do thoil, agus scrios an t-ábhar as aon
ríomhaire. Is é beartas na Roinne Dlí agus Cirt agus Comhionannais, na
nOifígí agus na nGníomhaireachtaí a úsáideann seirbhísí TF na Roinne
seoladh ábhair cholúil a dhícheadú.
Más rud é go measann tú gur ábhar colúil atá san ábhar atá sa
teachtaireacht seo is ceart duit dul i dteagmháil leis an seoltóir
láithreach agus le mailminder[ag]justice.ie chomh maith.

computer. It is the policy of the Department of Justice and Equality and the
Agencies and Offices using its IT services to disallow the sending of
offensive material.
Should you consider that the material contained in this message is offensive
you should contact the sender immediately and also mailminder[at]justice.ie.