[vicsireland] Re: Freedom Scientific Reduces Price of Focus 40 Blue Braille Display by 38%

  • From: Tony.G.Murray@xxxxxx
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:33:10 +0000

Hi Tim,

Thanks for passing this on.  An interesting read.

I understand the arguments surrounding Assistive Technology which are
often put forward about a limited customer base, and the high cost of
manufacturing small numbers of very specific highly
technical/advanced/micro-engineered items... Ah we've chatted about it
over pints ourselves many times.  The outcome of those chats was the ATAG,
which I still think is fairly unique (and who said going for pints doesn't
spawn anything but a hangover).

Anyway to be fair, it has to be said that the cost of Braille displays is
heading in the right direction.  So, with that in mind, I do take
positives from the release from FS below.

On the other side of the coin (am I sounding like a football pundit?),
this stuff is still preventatively expensive for lots and lots of people.

I am not a Freedom Scientific basher.  Jaws is as yet unbeaten as a Screen
Reader in my opinion.

It's very expensive, the past few full releases have been almost totally
reactive (catching up with Windows VISTA, Windows 7, and the 64-bit
versions of both), and we're all too familiar with it's fondness for
crashing and locking up PCs.  I think their authorisation process is
clunky at best, and I am always frustrated by it's unreliability.  Jaws
has given me nothing new as regards 'accessibility' since V6.2.

No! I'm not a Freedom Scientific basher, it is still the best screen
reader for PCs I know of.  I can't see myself changing any time soon
(unless I buy a Mac), and that's probably how many of us feel.  We put up
with it, because it is the best of a bad lot.

Anyway, to return to my point... FS are going to have to do a lot better
with their pricing before I read, without any cynicism, releases like the
below.  You're right to wonder if the vendors on this side of the pond
will pass on the savings... dollar for dollar, pound for pound, Euro for
Euro.  I wonder too, I wonder and wonder and wonder.

The line from the release which jumped out at me most was:
"The combination of JAWS® and a Braille display makes learning and using
Braille easy"

As long as you have about $5,000 to drop on a PC, copy of Jaws and a
Braille display... Then, yeah it's easy!

So, what's my point? I don't know, I feel very much like Eamon Dunphy must
feel when he's analysing football matches, my point is something I'm sort
of cranky about... I like Jaws, but I don't like it.  I think FS are good
for giving me such wonderful access to PCs, but I hate that they are
charging so much for their software and hardware... Even though, I can
sort of understand why they can and do so.

Oh yeah, here's a positive point to finish this mail that has become
something of a rant... Albeit a not very well thought out one (but we're
all guilty of those now and then aren't we?)...

Thank Jasus for the VICS/NCBI ATAG scheme, which makes the acquisition of
these bits and pieces a little bit easier for us all.  We are appreciative
of you guys on the Committee, doing your thing, fighting the good fight.

Now then, I'm off to play with my iPhone.  Good old Apple, they're on the
right path.  Good old Linux, I love Open Source.  Good old Jaws, no hold
on, bad old Jaws... Ah Jaws... I better sign off before it crashes again.

Best wishes,

Tony Murray

Internet Solutions,
AIB Enterprise Systems & Technology,
Block B2,
AIB Bankcentre,
Ballsbridge,
Dublin 4.

T: +353 (0) 164 13801
E: tony.g.murray@xxxxxx

"Tim Culhane" <tim.culhane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: vicsireland-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
04/03/2010 08:30
Please respond to vicsireland

        To:     <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        [vicsireland] Freedom Scientific Reduces Price of
Focus 40 Blue Braille Display by 38%

See below.

Would be interesting to see if the distributers like Sight and Sound pass
on this price reduction.

Tim