(VICT) e: Re: ew member, introduction

  • From: Jill Gross <jgross@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 12:38:13 -0500

Hi Kitty, Thanks for the welcome. I need to do some alternative
training with my guide. She has been so unreliable with street
crossings that I have lost confidence in her. I always tell new
guide dog users that having confidence in your dog is essential
in order to have an effective team. When I got my first dog at
the age of seventeen and I stepped out from the start with total
confidence in my dog. I had learned from a young age that I could
trust a dog I had trained more than I could trust most people.
It is deffinitely time to change my approach with her.

I have heard good things about the Donaldson book. I have a copy
in print on my shelf. I never thought to check RFBs collection.
Thanks.

Jill

My dog was
>trained with the traditional methods which never worked for me
and I never
>liked anyway.  So have been using the gentle leader with her and
doing lots
>of positive stuff.  We are not perfect, but we are good and quite
>functional.  One book I highly recommend is "the culture clash"
by jeanne
>donaldson.  It is available in digital format from recording for
the blind.

1/3/2007