(VICT) Re: "leaning" and "learning"

  • From: "Ann Edie" <annedie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 13:22:33 -0500

Hi, Diane and Everyone,

> Every minute you spend with your dog, one of you is leaning.>

Don't know if the "leaning" in your quoted saying was deliberate, or was
meant to be "learning", but it reminded me of one of Alex Kurland's training
axiums, "Eventually, everyone will sit down."  (By the way, this means that
instead of trying to force our trainees to do something, if we just set up
the training situation correctly and wait patiently, the trainees, with the
help of Operant Conditioning and their own physical and psychological
make-ups, will produce the behavior we desire.)

It tickles me that your original saying is equally true, whether you use
"leaning" or "learning".  But I would probably change it to, "Every minute
you spend with your dog, [at least] one of you is leaning, (or learning)."

I generally dislike sayings or trueisms from outside the clicker training
world, because they usually seem to be meant to put people down or make us
seem like fools.  But I love positive training sayings, like, "Everything is
everything else" and "A behavior is determined by its consequences"!

By the way, speaking of leaning, Alex Kurland has developed a technique in
which "slouching" or leaning against a post or a wall with arms folded is a
cue to the trainee that it is time for the micro-shaping game.
Micro-shaping is the process of watching for the slightest movement of a
particular muscle in the trainee, reinforcing that slight movement, and
gradually shaping it into a larger desired movement or behavior.  This is a
great way to work with animals who like to solve puzzles and also with
animals who are crossover learners, passively waiting to be pushed into
position or otherwise directed as to what is wanted and in whom you want to
awaken a more "operant" spirit.  The "slouching" position becomes a cue to
the trainee to "try something", and at the same time, works well to prevent
the trainer from falling into the trap of putting pressure on the trainee
and triggering behaviors, rather than simply letting the trainee experiment
and figure out what produces reinforcement.

I will admit that I haven't been able to figure out a good technique for
doing micro-shaping non-visually.  So I'm open for suggestions from any of
you blind trainers for how we can monitor tiny muscle movements in our
trainees and reinforce the seeds of desired movements without putting our
hands on the trainee and thereby influencing or triggering behaviors.

Best to all,
Ann