(VICT) Re: I clicker

  • From: "Brenda-Ann Gillis" <hc89x48@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 12:46:35 -0400

Hi Ann and all,

I don't know if this will help, but it made sense to me and works for Ivy.

When Meg first explained the concept of clicker training to me, she
suggested that the "click" was like  a behavior marker that bridges the time
in between getting the behavior (or the proximity thereof) and the reward.
For me, remembering the process in this way prevents me from using the click
in lieu of the command and/or inadvertently reinforcing the wrong behavior.
Guess that's just a good way for my brain to think of it.

Another tip she gave me that works for Ivy, is to replace the mechanical
click with a specific sound (such as the one Ann suggested) or even a word.
In our case, an exuberant "YES!!" works just as effectively as the clicker
for us.  Using a word seems easier for me and I feel less silly than I do
trying to click my Tongue -- when I do it I sound like a chicken on ludes
and have even bitten my tongue. VBG  I am also one of those "get up and go"
types and often find myself out and about with a wonderful training
opportunity and then discover I forgot to grab the clicker on the way out.
I forget treats too sometimes, but Ivy graciously accepts a crazy happy
dance and a pat from me instead -- provided, of course, that it come with a
promise of Frisbee or other shaping game when we get back home.

Just some additional thoughts on the subject.

Respectfully,
Brenda