(VICT) Re: Hello, food question

  • From: "Jo Clayson" <joclayson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 10:45:27 -0400

Kitty, what good clear suggestions. When this question came up recently my
mind went blank on how to address the problem.  The things you suggest are
very similar to what I used teaching my dogs...and it works....most of the
time.

Kita is still young and impulsive and fast and has an excellent nose .
However even she leaves food if I can get any cue, command, control, in
place before she gets it.

I remember several years ago walking with Zoomer along a city street.
Without missing a footstep she turned her head a bit and came up with a
Kentucy fried chicken carcass from in the leaves. I told her to drop, and
she did as we both continued walking forward.  Zoomer was very good with
leaving food if I told her to leave it.  And she was very good at finding
stuff . I've never had my dogs to the point where they would ignore food on
the ground when we were out someplace, but I also know I didn't work very
hard to teach them that.  "Leave it" and "Drop" were generally sufficient
for my needs.

Jo