(VICT) Mini-Guide and In-Training Guide Dog

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:35:50 -0800

I thought I would share some thoughts here after my first trip out using the
mini-guide. Keep in mind these are just my thoughts here of how it may be
able to be used to further Thane's training progress. I have not used it in
conjunction with Thane and probably won't until I feel comfortable enough to
set the cane aside.
There is one glitch and that is it tends to vibrate when I hit bumps in the
sidewalk hard. Gosh I miss Met's warnings of those uneven spots!
With a green dog who you are training or is just not seasoned yet I can see
a few ways this could be helpful to use in conjunction with the dog. I can
train for obstacles in my path with it. I would have a bit of warning that
something is in our way before we play bumper cars. Grin For a dog that is
green and easily distracted it could be a backup to the information we get
from our dogs- for instance right now Thane is people distractible because
plain and simple he loves to greet people. Having this when he gets
distracted could be an asset. If pointed in the direction you need to know
about traffic (set at the accurate setting of course) it could be a backup
to what the dog is telling you. The one area where it can do nothing to help
you is drop-offs so obviously you want the dog trained enough that it
recognizes these types of obstacles- open man holes, curbs, etc first.
It can vibrate with interference occasionally but not at the high
vibrational rate that is associated with being right close to an obstacle. I
think I have to also learn the appropriate way to hold it to get the best
benefit- but I am glad I spent the money on it- especially for inside the
store! Wow what a difference to know when people, carts, stands etc are in
my way. I do feel like it will be easier to train Thane with this added
knowledge of the environment. No, it does not pick up every little thing- it
depends on the height and direction you are holding it in. I trained Met as
I was progressively losing my vision so it was much easier then. I feel this
will take away a bit of the uncertainty I have.
Just thought I would share what I suspect could be the outcome of the
mini-guide in training Thane as a guide dog.

Karyn and Tha'