(VICT) Let Me Tell You a Story

  • From: metnme2 <metnme2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Vi-Clicker <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 12:11:55 -0800 (PST)

Its a story about listening to your gut despite what
your vet or the leader in the thyroid field has to
say.
I have been quiet for a reason the past months. For
the last 6 months, Met and I have been going through
absolute hell. I've tried to sugar-coat it mostly but
its royally been hell on earth. As you recall back in
July and early August Met was on the top of the world.
He was vigorous, loved his job and was the picture of
health. I was so happy and our partnership was so much
closer than it had ever been if that is possible. Then
despite all my debating both the vet and Dr Dodds
insisted Met was hyperthyroid. He had no symptoms of
such and I also made that very clear. They refused to
listen to reason and I was made to reduce his meds.
Within 3-4 weeks it was becoming apparent that Met was
turning hypothyroid again. When he was retested they
once again said he was hyperthyroid still and made me
further reduce his meds trying to make me believe that
his symptoms were from hyperthyroidism not hypo. I
stupidly accepted this viewpoint. In hindsite I am
thinking a lot clearer about the timing of those
symptoms but not before I put Met through about
$400.00 to $500.00 of medical work that was
unnecessary.
Met just had the thyroid test run again and now they
are claiming he is normal but if you could see Met now
you would just cry. He is literally balding, has
horrible skin issues, yeasty ears unless I treat them
daily, has had no energy, has very little interest in
work or even his walks and is moody as all get out
just to mention a few of the very obvious symptoms. My
heart is absolutely breaking. I have also been forced
to endure some discrimination issues at this vet
practice recently in response to relay calls for the
deaf (I am essentually deaf blind)The vet does not
want to even hypothesize that Met may just need higher
levels than normal. I have made a very tough decision
and that is to go elsewhere with Met. I have not done
so just yet but I wanted to be sure I was not barking
up the wrong tree. I know my vet in the past had told
me short term hyperthyroid readings won't hurt him so
I took matters into my own hands a few days ago and
raised his meds back up. I plan to get him in to a new
vet this week but I wanted to be absolutely sure this
was not wishful thinking. Met's energy is rebounding.
He is bringing me his balls and teasing me. He wants
to work around the house and even enjoyed going to
Bi-Mart yesterday. He is not near as moody- in fact
yesterday I saw no moodiness at all come out of him.
So you may ask why I am posting this. I am doing so
because I don't want any of you to ever go through
what we have. Met is an older service dog and I feel
like we have been robbed of 6 months of time when we
could have been relishing in each other and our bond
as a team in its golden years. Instead I spent times
crying out in desperation for someone to listen to me
seriously. Since then I have learned that the way his
tests have always been performed have a high incidence
of inaccuracy not to mention that the treatment should
be based not just on lab results but the symptoms as
well. I have a good friend experienced with canine
hypothyroidism. I sent her the pictures of Met and she
about died. She said my gosh Karyn which one of you is
the blind one! We could use your prayers and support
as we work to find another vet who will look at Met as
the individual he is to help us fully regain our
partnership for however long that may be.
To say I am full of a lot of emotions over this is the
understatement of the year...
Hug your special guides and service dogs. If they are
in good health and have good vets to care for them,
don't forget to count those blessings.
Oh and in the midst of all of this we tragically and
unexpectantly lost Nanook (my sweet tiel hen) to what
appeared to be a heart attack...
When it rains it pours...

Karyn and Met