[vi-android] Re: dealing with automated phone systems with Android Phones

  • From: Tony Hernandez <tonyhspeaks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 13:05:02 -0400

Hi Bill,

The earliest version of Android that had Talk Back on it that worked decently was 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The gesture system on that version with Talk Back is distinctly different from later Android versions. Most notably, activating an item was not done by flicking and double tapping but by exploring the screen to find the item you want to activate and then lifting your finger and tapping right on that item once. Which gesture system is better is completely a matter of preference. Some folks find double tapping annoying and some prefer it. I believe that on Android 4.0, the scrolling with Talk Back running is accomplished with one-finger gestures as if it were not running, i.e. flicking up or down with one finger or left to right with one finger to scroll. Flicking from item to item was not available in 4.0.

Tony Hernandez

On 5/30/2014 12:44 PM, bill Deatherage wrote:
I wasn't sure what to put in the subject line but I hope this works. I had an Android phone and one problem I had was when I would try to call our bus company for scheduling information You get one of those systems apun answering you get a message saying press one for one thing and 2 for another and so on. I had a samsung phone and I could not get it to work with that system. The problem might have been me. I also have a system like that with our bank. I am thinking about getting another android phone Also, what was the earlist version that had talk back?
Bill Deatherage