[vi-android] Re: The Voice-Off: Android versus Siri

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 09:08:18 +1100

Hi all,

Both of you made good points - Steve's perhaps somewhat more succinct and brief than Colin :)

I actually think the article is still quite interesting, it is a good comparison of the situation as it was, and really as you say Colin, it was only a few months ago, and particularly with the way Android updates are rolled out, a comparison from 2011 would be just as relevant for users with older phones.

One update Android has made in this area since August is that you can now interact with Google Now hands free by saying "Ok Google ... " and then your command.

While the article was trying to be comprehensive, some of the features are perhaps a bit more gimmicky or localised than would suit everyone. Personally I love the humour aspect of Siri (ask it why firetrucks are red, or what the moon is made of for instance), but is that useful in anything but entertainment value? No. Can you do the same thing with Android, not the humour in Google Now maybe, but there are plenty of apps out there which will entertain you...

Also the section on restaurants states that either platform can search for local restaurants, but only Siri offers the ability to book via OpenTable.com - I just had a look and it seems to be mostly in the US with some in other countries (Not Australia so it's of absolutely no use to me) - also I'm certainly not at the point where I would trust my phone to make a booking at a random restaurant - I'd at least personally rather do a search for local Italian restaurants (in the example) and then ask it to book me a table a Luigi's for 7pm tonight. How many times have you done a google search and only looked at the very first result it gave you (or used the I'm feeling lucky button)...

To be honest I think the upshot of the article remains true: Both platforms can do a few different tasks - some even well - but neither is anywhere near perfect, 100% accurate or completely reliable in all situations, and I believe as much as the manufacturers would have us believe otherwise with every new release of software or hardware, that will remain true for quite some time. I think it's also one of those things where it's probably not worth basing your entire decision on which platform to go with, on the basis of one feature as it is currently - I think Apple and Google will keep leap frogging each other on features like this and trying to one up each other - and that's good for us - one maker will come out with a great new feature or huge update to an existing feature... and soon enough, you'll see that on the other ecosystem as well. It's definitely worth continuing to contribute these kinds of articles here!

Kind regards

Quentin.

On 4/01/2014 6:05 AM, Colin Howard wrote:
Steve,

You obviously did not remember the start of my post where I said:

Note, I came across this amongst posts from way back August 2013 I suspect
matters have advanced since.

Instead of simply advising all you would say it is way out of date, it might
have been more useful and helpful to tell us what modifications have taken
place.

I find "throw-away" statements such as you sent most unnecessary, afterall,
we are not all up-to-date as you may think and at least this group is
intended, so far as I am aware, to be of assistance to it's subscribers.

Colin, who by the Lord's  providence remains living
near Fareham in Southern  England,   hopes you
enjoyed a very blessed  Christmas and are having a
peaceful,  prosperous and happy  New Year during 2014.

---
is active.