[vi-android] Re: Samsung Note 3 vs. Galaxy S4 Google Edition Questions

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 11:23:20 +1100

Hi Rajiv,

Both phones are quite good options.  I don't mind the Touchwiz interface,
it does have some nice additions, like the quick access to toggle features
(like WiFi and 3G data) from the notification bar, and various other
enhancements on the standard Android interface - by contrast if you don't
want those extra features it comes with (and the S-apps with the Note
devices) they can feel like bloatware, but the good news is that either
way, Samsung is one of the better ones in terms of accessibility and most
of their offerings and their touchwiz interface work quite well with
Talkback..

In terms of choosing between the two devices, probably the most obvious
difference from a low vision point of view, is that the Note 3 has a bigger
screen (5.7" compared to 5.0" from memory) so if you use large print or
magnification, that slightly bigger screen will help just that little bit
more.  Alternatively if you don't use the screen and rely entirely on
Talkback, then the more compact S4 is probably a better choice in terms of
easily slipping into your pocket or bag.

Number 3 I haven't looked at - I've got the Galaxy Note II (the previous
model to the one you are looking at) and I actually haven't used a belt
clip with it myself so am really no help in that area I'm afraid!

Oh one thing I have found with the Note II which I'm not sure whether
they've addressed with the note 3 (but I'd be interested to find out if you
end up going that way) - the Note models come with a built in stylus, which
can be handy, but one thing that always throws me when I go to use it, is
that while it works fine on the screen, it doesn't work on the soft touch
'menu' and 'back' buttons down the bottom either side of the home key. - If
the Note 3 still has a physical home key then that may still be an issue,
but if it has gone (and off the top of my head I can't recall) to solely on
screen buttons then the stylus may well work on those.

Regards

Quentin.