[vi-android] Re: New navigation app: GuideDroid

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 09:50:20 +1100

Hi Christopher,

I'm hoping someone in the US can answer that as unfortunately Nearby
Explorer is only available in the US at this stage.  I did have some
correspondence from the APH and they are hoping to be able to use some more
map sources to be able to provide information outside the US.

I see what you mean by cheaper - I just looked it up and apparently Nearby
Explorer is $120?  What actually does Nearby Explorer do for that money?
And how does Nearby Explorer compare to things like Point Finder and
GuideDroid?

Back to Guidedroid, the only other comparisons I can make are with Google
Maps own navigation function (it drops you into Google Maps for the
directions themselves but keeps its own list of favourite places), and also
with Point Finder which costs a couple of dollars.  Point Finder does
essentially the same thing (including keeping a list of your locations you
like directions to) and Point Finder also gives you compass bearings and
tells you what direction you are facing and what direction your destination
is in.

Do folks also find apps like AroundMe and iNearest useful?  Using a phone
as a navigation aid is probably one of the most common things people I run
into want to be able to do so I'd love to hear what apps and setups others
do use and find work for them?

Here is probably a good place to put a list of a few I've come across:

Point Finder:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.picospace.pointfinder&hl=en
Google's intersection explorer: Gives you spoken information about the
streets around you:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.marvin.intersectionexplorer&hl=en

Apps for nearby points of interest:

-          iNearest: Gives you information about emergency information and
other nearby services (cafes, banks, bus stops etc):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.inteco.accesibilidad.appmovilaccessible&hl=en

-          AroundMe: Information about nearby amenities (shops, banks etc):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tweakersoft.aroundme

-          Around Me: Information and directions to nearby places:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.friends.aroundme

-          Whats Around Me: Similar to others – several unlabelled buttons:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidpackages.whatsaroundme

Apps to tell you where you are:

Where am I?

-          “Where am I” by Cybern Systems – a widget which displays your
address on the home screen -
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cybern.whereami

-          “Where am I at?” by Aaron McDonald – an app which tells you your
address, coordinates and also displays it visually on a map -
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.admapps.whereamiat

-          “Where am I?” by Ejelta LLC – again tells you your address,
coordinates and a map and also can have a notification with continuous
updates - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ejelta.whereami

-          “Where Am I?” by Retail Forge Limited – gives you your current
address:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_thhowden.whereami

-          “Where Am I” by Vedang Jadhav – much like the others, address,
coordinates and map:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stealz.whereami&hl=en

Regards

Quentin.