[vi-android] App sales on Google Play for Black Friday

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 20:24:44 +1100

Hi everyone,

This weekend is a great time of year to go hunting around the app store for some bargains. Thursday just gone was Thanksgiving, Friday was "Black Friday" (kind of like the Boxing Day sales only on the fourth Friday in November), and this coming Monday is Cyber Monday - essentially what they tried to bring to Australia as Click Frenzy spectacularly badly last year. So there are a lot of things on sale in the Play store.

I've looked at a lot of the apps, and bought several, though I would have to say, most of them don't really score particularly well in terms of large print accessibility at least, and I think probably not for speech either). One I was particularly hopeful for was Blackbar, a text adventure game, though having bought it (and got a refund and wrote politely to the dev), I can tell you, have a look at the screenshots on the Play store, and base your decision on being able to read those - the magnifier would work on it but it's not Talkback accessible at all, and there are no options for changing colours or text size.

In any case, here are a couple of links to places with lists of apps on sale:

1. @app_sales on twitter: https://twitter.com/app_sales (there is an app on the play store as well). 2. http://www.redmondpie.com/black-friday-2013-sale-on-android-apps-and-games-list/ 3. http://www.androidcentral.com/black-friday-game-and-app-sales-android (watch the first several groups of links are for the Amazon app store rather than Google Play). 4. http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/28/black-friday-sales-roundup-the-best-deals-on-apps-devices-accessories-and-more/

To find most of those I simply did a search for "android black friday sale". A search of the play store for the word "Sale" can get results as some devs rename their app "My App - 80% off sale!", though it does also find apps for finding sales or calculating sales tax etc.

If you find any that ARE accessible in any way, please share with the group as everyone loves a bargain!

Regards

Quentin.

---
is active.