[va-richmond-general] reminder about Trip to Potomac River

  • From: Tyler Turpin <tylerturpin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: richmond listserve <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:16:30 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I have received no calls on this trip so far.

Saturday, February 9, 2008 – George Washington’s Birthplace National Monument,
Westmoreland County
After visiting the park we will go to Colonial Beach for coffee/refreshments
and carpool from the coffee shop to bird the Potomac and creeks in the town for
an hour. To carpool/travel as a group to the area, we will depart from the
Glenside Drive Park-and-Ride lot at 7 a.m. Admission to certain zones of the
park is free but there is an admission fee of $4.00 to some zones good for
birding, like the historic house area. Contact Tyler Turpin at 804-317-9478 for
more information or to sign up. If February 9 is canceled because of snow or
ice or prediction of snow or ice, the make up day will be Saturday, February 23.

Look what Lee Adams  saw today at the site of this trip:

On my way to Warsaw today I saw 2 Red-shouldered Hawks perched
alongside Highway 3. At George Washington Birthplace skeins of Canada
Geese filled the air. A Crow topped a tree with a pair of Bald Eagles
in it. A male Northern Harrier eating lunch on the ground relocated
ten yards further away when I stopped the truck to watch. Bufflehead
were easy to spot in the Potomac off the beach. Goldfinches, Bluebirds
and Robins crowded the edges of the road through the woods. At the
picnic grounds there were tons of Tundra Swans in the cove.

I stopped at the Muse Rd. end of Rt. 624 near Flat Iron Corner on the
way home. Several fields were filled with Canada Geese. The wind was
brisk but I could see several Long-tailed Ducks, some Scaup, and some
Common Goldeneye with more Bufflehead on the river. Back at George
Washington Birthplace the Northern Harrier floated over the fields. A
Red-tailed Hawk was watching the pond at the beach end of the road. I
could only see one Bald Eagle this time, but an American Kestrel and a
Red-shouldered Hawk evened things out.