[va-richmond-general] help on Dutch Gap prothonotary project

  • From: "Bob Reilly" <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:12:25 -0400

Since 4/16/04 the project has color-banded 25 male prothonotaries in
conjuction with thesis projects of several of Charlie Blem's graduate
students.  If you're looking for a binocular challenge and wouldn't mind
helping out, I would be very happy to get sightings of color-banded
prothonotaries at Dutch Gap from now through mid August. If you look closely
as you walk out the Dutch Gap trail, you will find that about every 260 feet
(approx 1/20th of a mile +/-) there is a numbered wooden stake a few feet
off the trail on the left hand side. These makers begin with #1 near the
visitor's center gate and end with # 70 at the end of the 4-mile loop.  Side
trails also have these stakes at the same intervals, marked with letters.
If you note a color-banded prothonotary and can ascertain the nearest stake
#, I would be pleased to get an email with that information along with the
date and approximate time.  If you note the bird going to a nest box, that
is helpful information as well, with or without the box number.

All banded birds will have an aluminum USFWS band on the right leg.  In
addition, there may be a plastic color band on the bird's right leg as well
as one on the bird's left leg. Some bird's have a color band on only one
leg.  The right leg-left leg color combination is what you are looking for.
If you don't get fairly close to the bird, say 20-40 feet, you probably
won't be able to discern the colors (unless you really layed down the money
on your optics!). The bands are necessarily small.  A color key, as well as
an explanation of how we record the combinations follows.  I have also
included a list of the 25 males color-banded thus far, followed by the stake
number where they were banded.  Only males are being color-banded.  The
"backroad" entries in the list refer to a grass trail behind the main
observation pond (pond along the hard surface as you drive into the park)
accessed behind the 1st gate on your left as you drive in.  Most
color-banded birds will be out the Dutch Gap trail, however.

My email address for sighting information, as well as questions, is
rjreilly@xxxxxxx .  Thank you for your help, and I hope it adds a dimension
to this year's birding at Dutch Gap.

Bob Reilly

P.S.  One nest box checked today had a prothonotary nest complete with nest
cup and lining. Ready for that 1st egg!  If it was layed tomorrow, it would
tie the state record for the early PW egg date set by one of Charlie Blem's
prothonotaries at Presquile in 1995.

COLOR KEY:   A=aluminum USFWS band;
R=red;Y=yellow;B=blue;G=green;O=orange;W=white
Example: G/A means green on top, aluminum on bottom etc.
Example: O/A-R means orange over aluminum on the bird's right leg and red on
the bird's left leg

Colors (R-L) Location marker
R leg - L leg
A-R 37