[va-richmond-general] Warsaw and Wilna 9/16

  • From: "Lee Adams" <ladams42@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:42:43 -0400

I was visiting my parents in Warsaw and woke to a cool, crisp morning. I saw the following in their yard: C. Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Black and White Warbler, Hooded Warbler, A. Goldfinch, House Finch, C. Wren, Gray Catbird, Brown Thrasher, Northern Mockingbird, Red-shouldered Hawk, Northern Cardinal, House Sparrow, Mourning Dove, Ruby-throated Hummingbird and the entire Northern Neck's population of Brown-headed Cowbirds.

I learned to love birding with my father. He is a retired veterinarian. The weather was beautiful so we drove over to the Wilna Unit of the Rappahannock River Valley NWR. Driving in I was watching butterflies in the lane. A Red-tailed Hawk flew out of the trees when I stopped to try to take a picture. I parked my 4 wheel drive so my father could see over the pond. We saw a Great Blue Heron, lots of Eastern Bluebirds and a Scarlet Tanager. After a few fruitless casts of a new spinnerbait from the pier I drove back up the hill. There was a lot of "little bird" activity at the beginning of the trail beside the pond. My father has just had another back surgery and walks with canes. I asked if he could walk 30 steps. He said yes so I set up a canvas chair in the first shade of the trail. Warblers were everywhere. We saw American Redstarts, Black-throated Green Warblers, Northern Parulas, Common Yellow-throats, Black and White Warblers, Magnolia Warblers, and Red-eyed, White-eyed and Yellow-throated Vireos. We saw Blue Grosbeaks and one female Rose-breasted Grosbeak. To finish our outing with a bang we spotted a Merlin sitting in the top of a dead tree as we were leaving.

Lee Loudenslager Adams
Fredericksburg, VA
ladams42@xxxxxxx