[va-richmond-general] Vulcan Royal Stone Quarry : 8 September 2007

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richmond Birds)
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 14:17:30 +0000

I knew our 3rd Annual Trip to the Vulcan Royal Stone Quarry would be great when it took 2 sign-in sheets to register all the folks who turned out for this day of "Geological Ornithology." True to form the folks at Vulcan gave us "royal" treatment with breakfast, entertainment and goodies to take home. They continue to improve and reassess their habitat each year and maintain their Certified Wildlife Habitat credentials which is no small feat to accomplish in Industry.

We had such a wide variety of birders turn out for this event. Exciting for me was that more than 50% were new folks to Audubon. A warm September morning was a little slow for a lot of bird activity but we did have 24 species and we were able to add a new bird; a Red-Shouldered Hawk to the Royal Stone Bird inventory. A family of 4 Eastern Bluebirds was seen along side the nature trail and perhaps the highlight of the day was a Common Raven perched a top a crane on the far side of the quarry that we were able to observe through a spotting scope.

Tim Walston, Plant Manager and Sue Dudley-Administrative Asst. and Environmentalist Extraordinaire are to be commended for their continued committment to the environment and the community. They welcome scheduled guests and school groups. For more information contact them at 804.360.2014.

Thank you so much for a super Gneiss day and RAS looks forward to our continued outings at Royal Stone.

Julie Kacmarcik
Field Trips -Richmond Audubon