[va-richmond-general] Virginia Birding Trail

  • From: Robert McLemore <grousek9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richmond Birders <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 18:58:07 -0700 (PDT)

I have been reading a lot of posts about folks looking for sites to view birds
or inquiring about where people have visited. As a gift to everyone and as an
aid to the Virginia Bird Trail, I have made a KMZ of the sites for Google Earth.

If you don't know, Google Earth is a free satellite mapping software. In order
to use this, you will have to first download Google Earth. It works on either a
Mac or a PC. Go to...

http://earth.google.com

and download the software.

Once it is downloaded, go to the following link and save this file to your hard
drive somewhere. I'm sure many of you fear infections. Valid fear, but I didn't
put any on it. If you look at this file, it is just a Google version of a
zipped XML file.

Once you have it on your hard-drive, open Google Earth. Go to the menu and
select "File - Add". Browse to where you saved this file. Select it and you
will have all the trail points.

Virginia Birding and Wildlife Trails v1.kmz

Note that this is not a for profit effort. In the spirit of public service I
have put it together for the VDGIF. Please support them by purchasing a hard
copy. They are nice and spiral bound. They used to be free but when they were
combined into one book, they started charging a nominal fee. You can purchase a
copy at:

https://www3.dgif.virginia.gov/estore/proddetail.asp?prod=VW226

If you have any trouble with Google Earth, contact Google. If you can't
download the KMZ, e-mail me and I'll give send you a copy.

Note, a handful of the sites could not be confirmed. They were generally forest
trails with minimal information from a Google search. If I couldn't find the
exact spot, I put in a cautionary notice into the comments. I'll upload a new
file each time I have corrections. Consider this one version 1.0.

Enjoy (and support the VDGIF for this awesome program).

Cheers,
Robert McLemore