[va-richmond-general] Henricus - Dutch Gap, 4/11/2009

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 20:20:48 -0400

It was a very mixed-up day, weather-wise, at Henricus - Dutch Gap. We stayed dry, but had warm sun, threatening clouds, and chilly breezes by turns. For all that, we turned up 48 species, including a couple of Prothonotary Warblers singing on territory back along the trail to the bald cypress grove. Another was reported along the entrance road by Gerry Weinberger.Yellow-throated Warblers, Pine Warblers, and Common Yellowthroats were also singing, and it was hard to get away from Blue-gray Gnatcatchers. There appear to be two Osprey nests under construction, and Great Blue Heron nests at two sites. White-throated Sparrows were still well represented, and we also found a couple of Juncos still hanging around. There was a flock of around 24 Black Vultures hanging about near the entrance to the Dominion Va. Power fly-ash ponds as I entered the park. The cap on the morning for those who hung in until the end was a spirited aerial display by a pair of adult Bald Eagles as we returned to the Visitor Center parking lot.

I've put a few images from the morning in my Picasa web albums, which you can view here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/blbarnett3/DutchGapChesterfieldCoVA4112009?feat=directlink

If you were along on the trip today and would like to have the following checklist shared with you, just send me a request with the email address you use on eBird.

Good birding,

Lewis Barnett

Location:     Henricus - Dutch Gap Conservation Area
Observation date:     4/11/09
Number of species:     48

Canada Goose     10
Wood Duck     4