[va-richmond-general] Re: Ruby Thoated Hummingbird at the feeder

  • From: Robert E Coles <recphoto@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 14:33:52 -0400

Greetings:
Our FOS male Ruby Throated  Hummingbird was sighted at our feeder around 2PM today. This is the second earliest sighting. April 7 in 1997 was the earliest.
The feeder has been out for 4-days. The chart below is all of our recorded FOS hummingbird sightings. The trend line indicates we should not have seen one until around the 18th based on past trends. The problem with the data is the feeder was not put out on the same date each year and we may have been away during early April in some years.

Bob
Bob Coles

“Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.”
- Leonardo da Vinci

On Apr 7, 2012, at 8:36 PM, Caroline Coe wrote:

And a lovely male ruby-throat buzzed through our yard this morning, first checking out our pond fountain then the feeder before flying off.  This is our earliest sighting by a day!

And we see a pair of wood ducks flying off from somewhere down by the creek.

Caroline Coe
Chesterfield County

Sent from the Coe's iPad

On Apr 7, 2012, at 7:21 PM, Robert Knox <rek3nva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My first Ruby Throat appeared at 2:00pm today, a few hours after I put up a new feeder.

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Nelda Snyder <nsnyder03@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
About 5:30 this evening, our first Ruby Throat, a male, came to one of the feeders.  Very early!, Buzzy, the Rufous male, must have left as he hasn't been seen in about 10 days.  But the feeders stayed up, with fresh food every few days., Nelda, Eastern Henrico, You are subscribed to VA-Richmond-General. To unsubscribe, send email to
va-richmond-general-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field. To adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.) please visit, //www.freelists.org/list/va-richmond-general.

--
Bob