[va-richmond-general] Re: Perfect Bird Food container

  • From: "Rick" <rrdjserv@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rcs5701@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Richmond Birds'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 14:06:55 -0400

I found this on the web. Don't know if it works or not. I haven't tried it.
--Rick

RE: Add Red Pepper To Your Bird Seed To Deter Squirrels
I just found a site that said red pepper is fine but if it's in a powder form,
a breeze can blow and get it in the birds eyes. This is not good for them, it's
just like us getting it in our eyes.
Although they don't have the same receptors as mammals and they do not taste
the heat in chili or cayenne pepper when they eat it.

All the sites I looked up talk about dried pepper you'd find in the spice
section of the grocery store, not fresh peppers in produce section.

Also, you can buy just Safflower seed as opposed to mixed seed and squirrels
don't like it. But it limits the birds that visit - Blue Jays like sunflower
seeds, Woodpeckers like the nuts. You'll still get plenty of others though -
sparrows, titmice, etc.

This is the site, there are a few others out there that give some good ideas to
keep squirrels away...and to keep rats and mice from eating your seed off the
ground. Ugh!