[va-richmond-general] Re: Perfect Bird Food container

  • From: "Bob" <rcs5701@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Richmond Birds'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 20:46:05 -0400

Ever had problems with furry friends getting into your bird feed?  Not the
usually kind out in the yard, but the ones that get into it while its still in
the bag?  I have tried different containers, but mice can even chew through
thick plastic.

I came across a possible solution, and its free.  Woodlake, where I live, is
replacing our existing mail boxes.  We were looking to recycle the old one or
re-use them.  I put mine up on end, and put into it my bags of seeds and
scoopers.  There is plenty of room in the 2 foot by 1.5 foot by 1 foot mail box
(yes, they are big).  At ten pounds, they are also very sturdy steel
construction.  I think you could fit at least a 25 pound bag into one.  Easy to
use, tight fitting lid, and mouse proof.

Well , Woodlake is going to have plenty of old boxes to either recycle or find
new uses.  They are all brown (we like conformity here in Woodlake).  Maybe if
people are interested, I can bring some to a meeting.  We really would like to
see them reused.

Bob Siegfried