[va-richmond-general] Mississippi Kites- Dinwiddie Co. 8/10

  • From: bigadfromlb@xxxxxxxxxxx (Adam D'Onofrio)
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Virginia Birds), va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richmond Birds), sued@xxxxxxxxx (Sue D'Onofrio)
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 19:49:41 +0000

On our way back to my house, Tina Trice and I were surprised to see 4
MISSISSIPPI KITES hunting an open field on Duncan Rd. in Dinwiddie County, near
the intersection with Smith Grove Rd., around 2:30 this afternoon.  Two of the
birds were putting on a pretty spectacular show as they stooped on dragonflies
and ate them in mid-air at close range.  This is the second time I've seen
kites in this area since I moved here in 2004.  The first time was 7/31-8/1/04
when 3 showed up in my yard and then as many as 5 were seen hunting a field
across the street.  Good birding.

Adam D'Onofrio
Dinwiddie Co.