[va-richmond-general] James River Count Wrap-Up

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richmond Birds)
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 02:10:09 +0000

A terrific turn-out for birds and bird-watcher's Saturday as we did our annual survey of the James River Park System. The weather could not have been any better. More than 30 folks turned out to inventory the 8 sectors of the park. We started just after sunrise and all (most all :-) ) wrapped up by 1030 at Larry and Mary's-host and hostess extraordinaire. Suet cakes we contributed will be used for the RAS kids program at Swansboro Elementary.

Total number of bird species this year was 72-up 13 from last year. Coffee-cake count was 8-up 5 from last year! Here's a few highlights:

Peregrine Falcon from the Flood wall
Black and white warbler from Belle Isle
Lincoln's sparrow from 42nd Street
Turkey and Black Vultures only seen from Ancarrow's Landing
Orange-crowned warbler seen somewhere I am sorry I didn't hear
Great-Horned Owls at the Carillon
Screech Owl around Dogwood Dell area

Lots of new folks and new enthusiasm.
Thanks to all who rolled out and of course big thanks to Mary and Larry to allow us to admire their blooming daffodils and drink their coffee and drop mud everywhere as we start the off 2008 with this great event.

JulieK
Chester