[va-richmond-general] "Iceland" Gull in Richmond

  • From: Arun Bose <arun.bose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:38:06 -0500

Hello VA-Birders,
I observed a 1st cycle "Iceland" Gull late this afternoon (4:15-5:20), from
the Floodwall (southside). The bird was on the rocks and about 150 yards
out. I noted the following at the time of observation. I managed a few
digiscoped images also.

Round domed head.

Bigger than Ring Billed.

Slightly smaller than Herring.

Bill all dark/blacker toward tip half, shorter and slimmer than Herring

Overall dirty white appearance.

Dusky around face, particularly around eye and ear coverts giving a faint
dusky "half hood".

Mantle off-white mottled with light dirty brown color.

Scapulars and lesser coverts with light dirty brown vermiculations.

Tertails and greater coverts whiter. Primaries and secondaries appeared
white.

Tail white with fine light brown barring on the rump

Underparts off-white mottled with light dirty brown color especially below
the breast.

Light dirty brown barring to undertail coverts.

Legs dull pink.

Interestingly there were not large numbers of gulls probably only a few
hundred; Great Black-backed, Herring and Ring Billed were the other species
present. I did not see any Lesser Black-backeds today, although they are
around and seen on most visits.

The "bird" was present when I arrived, and first picked out in flight as the
gulls were harrassed by an adult Bald Eagle. Luckily the eagle was chased
off by a Peregrine and the gulls settled.

I have been checking the gulls downtown regularly since November '07, and
this is the first "white winged gull" so far this winter.

Arun Bose
Richmond, VA