[va-richmond-general] Re: FW: Northern Goshawk

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Adam D'Onofrio'" <bigadfromlb@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'RAS Listserv'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 12:37:58 -0400

Looking through my bird book - Richard Taranto's bird indeed does not appear
to be a goshawk. It does not have the distinctive white stripe on the head,
and it does not have the red eye. In fact, this hawk's light grayish eye
does not match anything I see in Sibley's. So I Googled images of various
hawks. It does not seem to be a red-tailed hawk because it does not have
enough red in it. Maybe it is a Cooper's hawk as in
http://www.pbase.com/image/52570588 . This picture shows a lightish eye. I
expect the lack of stripes in its upper breast is a photographic effect.

So what kind of hawk is it?

Jim Blowers

  _____