[va-richmond-general] Re: Comorant viewing?

  • From: Nelda Snyder <nsnyder03@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: JRiverPk@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 23:08:45 -0400

Ralph, Lewis and All,
That's exactly where we were today, and, yes, the cormorants were drying off on those white rocks. They were pretty quiet---we must have missed lunch! In fact we'll have to go back to see any feeding. Great day to be there, tho'.
Nelda and Buz

On 4/3/2011 1:27 PM, JRiverPk@xxxxxxx wrote:
Lewis, et al
I agree. The Floodwall Walk at the point where the Manchester Dam comes to shore (where the Audubon interpretive signs are) is a very good place to watch the cormorants dry off on the distant rocks ... and to watch the GB Herons feed at the base of the dam. If you go several times in April, May and June, you can also see a change in the color and texture of the rocks. About now they develop a white patch in the center --- cormorant droppings. As the fish migration stops and the fish-eating birds disperse the Canada Geese arrive with their youngsters. The rocks develop a brownish fuzz over the entirety of the surface --- there is no more (or very little) white patch. As the river level drops in July and August the rocks develop a faint white ring --- like a monk's tonsure or a kid's bowl-cut style hair cut --- the result of calcium deposits from the falling water levels. (You can also see this feature especially in winter during periods of low water.)
Ralph White
James River Parks System / Manager
4001 Riverside Drive, 23225
City of Richmond
Office - (804) 646-8911 Please leave a voice mail
Cell - (804) 432-1832 Does not record voice mails
4001 Riverside Dr., Richmond, VA 23225

--
Nelda Snyder 804 795 1446