[va-richmond-general] Re: Bandy Field, 5/21/10

  • From: David Bryan <dbryan.audubon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 15:42:53 -0400

I went by James River Park this morning and I found it much the same as
Lewis describes Bandy Field. The only migrants I detected (heard only) were
around 5 Blackpoll Warblers and I believe 1 American Redstart. Other than
that it was all summer residents.

Yesterday Jack Esworthy and I birded the southern portion of Cumberland
State Forest (for 7 hours!) as part of the Central Piedmont IBA survey and
had a great birding/hiking day. Species total was in the mid 40s. I believe
the only migrants, though, were 5 Blackpolls, 1 Black-throated Blue and a
TBD Thrush. Other highlights of summer birds included 21 Hooded Warblers, 14
Yellow-billed Cuckoos, 14 Wood Thrush, 13 Scarlet Tanagers, 3 Prairie
Warblers, 2 Summer Tanagers, 1 Louisiana Waterthrush (lifer!), and 1 singing
Kentucky Warbler (most likely from call). Our two birds with the greatest
numbers were, no huge surprise, 68 Red-eyed Vireos and 61 Ovenbirds!

Looks like migration is at the tail end.

All the best,

-David Bryan, Chesterfield