[va-richmond-general] Bandy Field, 5/21/10

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 15:25:57 -0400

Bandy Field was much quieter today. The only migrant species I found was one Swainson's Thrush. That bird did give me a couple of good looks - enough to clearly see how the pronounced eye-ring on that species gives it a very wide-eyed look compared to Gray-cheeked Thrush, which has a dark eye in a mostly gray face. I'm now pretty sure that yesterday I did see (in addition to hearing) a Gray-cheeked.

There was good evidence that our summer residents are well-advanced in the business of rearing their families. I've seen adult Pine Warblers, Cardinals and Brown Thrashers feeding young over the past few days.

I hope those of you who dropped by Bandy today expecting a warbler extravaganza based on my earlier posts weren't too disappointed today. It was a nice day, and the Cedar Waxwings, Cardinals and Robins gorging on mulberries were still pretty entertaining.

Lewis

--
Lewis Barnett -- http://www.mathcs.richmond.edu/~lbarnett/