[va-bird] Mason Neck SP-- BALT. ORIOLE, GRAY-CH THR?

  • From: "Jodi Bucknam" <jodibucknam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 13:06:01 -0400

Birders,

I managed to sneak away from Visitor Center duties for an hour today (11am to noon) and check out the Bay View Trail. The woods were full of birdsong, so much that I hardly knew where to look first! I'm sure I missed at least half the species present. Lots of courtship activity going on, including one noisy pair of CHIPPING SPARROWS mating. The highlight was a possible GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH seen toward the end of the trail. This thrush was a very dull grayish brown, with sparse faint spots on the breast. I didn't get as good a look as I'd have liked, thus the "possible." I also saw a bright BALTIMORE ORIOLE singing at the edge of the marsh. A list of species follows, including a few more heard on my drive into the park earlier in the morning.

Don't forget the next Mason Neck SP bird walk, this Saturday from 9-11am. It's free and requires no advance reservations. Show up at the Visitor Center for a 9am start; we'll be on the Bay View Trail if you're late and want to catch up with us. Remember a $4/car parking fee applies to all park visitors. Hope to see you there!

Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose (including one lone gosling)
Wood Duck

Mallard
Osprey
Mourning Dove